There is no better welcome than with a smile, that is why Basia Olszańska-Żywalewska smiles to you from this place. If you came across my virtual workshop, it would be a real pleasure to keep you here longer. A few words about me are necessary in order to know each other better.
I was born in 1975 in Łapy – a beautiful little town in the picturesque heart of Podlasie on Narew river. Formally I am an artist, but official language is not best suited to my work – which has from the beginning been linked to creation and art. In 1995, I graduated from the High School of Art in Suprasl (range of specialization: utility forms, specialization: woodcarving). The next step was studies in the Academy of Fine Arts in Gdańsk (specialization: medal making and small forms). I defended my thesis in 2001 in the sculpture workshop under the guidance of Professor Edward Sitko. These were good years of learning and collecting priceless experiences.
I carve, paint and sketch. I create. Two fantastic tiny tots run around my house – Iga and Roch, who are an inspiration for me, as also my husband Radek, who supports me in marketing and... ophthalmology. Apart from that, there are my sister and brother-in-law, and you should know that their mood can crush the hardest sculpture.
Recalling one of Lec's Uncombed Thoughts: “Let's not imagine ourselves, let's just be”, I stand here in front of you and I remain at your disposal – ready for cooperation, dialogue and exchange of thoughts. I will listen with pleasure to every opinion and I will answer every question.
I am surrounded by the frightening open spaces of the universe(…), I see infinity on all sides enclosing me like an atom.
The art starts here – in the head. In the middle of the painting stands a man. Proud, pensive, sometimes vain, mysterious, effusive or pretending to be someone else. In the background of nature, it falls to his lot to act against himself, to pursue the formula of mutiny, his relations with the world becoming incomprehensible. Animal instinct fights with calculation for primacy, or maybe it only appears so.
That is where I will build my house – this man points with his finger. In this place my existence will acquire some sense – he says. This is one place in the Universe which is not filled, maybe is waiting to be filled. Look in that direction.
Reed in the wind. The most fragile in the nature, but contemplative – as Pascal said. I see a man – he is the source of the inspiration for me. He is delightful, but at the same time – from the perspective of the overwhelming world and indestructible nature – remains little and weak. Where is his place? What is his aim? What is he doing here? Looking for the answers to these questions, I am collecting creative thoughts and translating them to the language of art.
WORK AND ACHIEVEMENTS
Specialization: painting, sclpture, batik, drawing (many works using various techniques can be found in art collections both in the country and abroad).
Activity: membership of the Association of Polish Artists and Designers, founder and member of a young artists' group Grupa '75.
Professional activity: Since 2011 Artistic Workshop, which means piles of invoices for tools and materials for stonework.
Other interests: art history, travelling, film, literature, doll-making, flying machines.
- 2000 Individual Exhibition of drawing, graphics, and painting in the Voivodeship Centre of Culture Propagation in Bialystok, titled: "Metaphorical Theatre in Several Scenes".
- 2002 Exhibition of the Young Sculpture in Gdansk, award.
- 2002 Individual exhibition of painting, titled: "Stories of Flying" in the "Marszand" Gallery in Bialystok.
- 2002 Collective Exhibition of the Association of Polish Artists and Designers in the "Marszand" Gallery in Bialystok.
- 2005 Exhibition of the Association of Polish Artists and Designers in "Arsenal" Gallery in Bialystok, titled: "White Drawing-Room".
- 2005 Individual sculpture and batik fabric exhibition in "Marszand" Gallery in Bialystok
- 2005 Participation in International Festival of Theatrical and Artistic Activities in Tczew - Europe "Happenings"
- 2006 Individual exhibition of sculpture in the Smallest Gallery in the World in Torun, titled: "Solar".
- 2006 Collective exhibition of the "'75Group" artists in "Spodki" Gallery of the Voivodeship Centre of Culture Propagation in Bialystok, titled: "In wait for..."
- 2006 Enterprise of the "'75Group", titled: "Awakening", which constituted a part of the Festival of the Days of Modern Art in Bialystok.
- 2006 Collective exhibition of artists of "'75Group" in the "Salon Uroczysko" Gallery, as a part of the Encounters with Nature and "Uroczysko" (the Sacred Spot) Spectacle in Suprasle.
- 2007 Collective exhibition of the "'75Group" artists in "Spodki" Gallery of the Voivodeship Centre of Culture Propagation in Bialystok, titled: "8th Marth”
- 2007 Collective exhibition of artists of "'75Group" in the "Salon Uroczysko" Gallery, as a part of the Encounters with Nature and "Uroczysko" (the Sacred Spot) Spectacle in Suprasle.
- 2008 Individual Exhibition of painting titled: "Anima" in "Spodki" Gallery of the Voivodeship Centre of Culture Propagation in Bialystok.